The Orientation and Mobility Association of South Africa
WHO IS OMASA?
OMASA is the professional body that represents Orientation and Mobility Trainers. OMASA has members throughout South Africa, in other Southern African States and some from other international countries. The Association has an Executive Committee that is democratically elected every two years. The executive committee members serve voluntarily and gets no remuneration from OMASA.
The objectives of OMASA as spelt out in our Constitution are:
To represent, promote and protect the professional interests of the orientation and Mobility Practitioners by;
- Increasing awareness, understanding and respect for the profession;
- Advancing the availability and use of the profession; and
- Being the body that advocates for the profession and its members
To take an active role in establishing and maintaining high professional standards of mobility instruction and delivery in South Africa by:
- Encouraging the development and implementation of continuing professional development; and
- Disseminating information, new ideas, latest developments and to stimulate the interchange of opinion and thought amongst members on mobility for the visually impaired and related topics.